hiiiiiiiii! It's been way too long, and I've missed blogging about so many things already! But this should be documented coz I haven't been this high in AGES :P
G12 WON THE SDBBS CRICKET CUP!!!!!!!!
heheheh. It's really an achievement for us, after last year's sad (but narrow margin) defeat. We've now regained the title of defending champions (we won in 2008 too!) wooo!
Completely different this year without our resident uncle captain. One of the guys enthu-ly formed a team, and I was also included 0.o there was a rule to have at least 1 compulsory female player! And I've been wanting to play since '08, so naturally I fussed for the sake of it but was actually jumping in excitement! But I knew I sucked so was quite disappointed that we had NO training whatsoever before the actual match. And the last proper match I played was in '03. Total fail. But fielding is decent when the ball doesn't fly around wildly, so just mustered up as much optimism as possible this morning before the match.
Bro was participating too, of course, so dad drove us to GIIS Siglap campus at 7.45am. I had a highly sugary pop-tart breakfast and was all psyched up (and slightly nervous) to play. Our team basically consisted of 3-4 g12-ers and a whole lot of other youngish boys (I was the oldest heh) so I obviously couldn't go around hugging everyone to wish us luck. V was already there! So made a beeline for her and started yakking until I was called back to the field where I was supposed to be hehe.
We were to bat in the first match, which started around 8.30am. By then nutti and snoo had come too. So since we were batting, I was talking to them. But then was asked to update the scoreboard so was standing alone screaming for our players to "runnn!!" and "GO GUYS!" etc. sigh I've missed that so much. Finally, thanks to our awesome batsmen, we made a score of 94 in 10 overs!!! (this score was the highest in the whole c'ship!) Next was the bowling/fielding part. So I had to go in womg. Captain A asked me to be "cover" so it wasn't too bad. And bro was sweeping behind me so that was good! And ahem my role didn't just involve "standing around looking pretty on the field" unlike what CERTAIN people thought HMPH. I actually stopped the ball 3 times, when it came directly to me hehe. But bro said I let out a scream everytime it came towards me hahaha. Didn't even realise.
Ok so thanks to the tight bowling by our fantastic players, they opposing team only scored about 30+ so we wonnnnnnnnnn! On to the next match, which was immediate (round robin). This team had played for the last 2 years so they were stronger. They bowled really well, and we only managed a score of 50 smth. Oh and this time, sigh, all the batsmen got out. So I was the last on the list, and in the 10th over, 2nd ball, I had to go out to bat!! omg man. I was super nervous coz the last time I attempted batting last year, it was an AWFUL experience. So the bowler did his thing, I missed it happily, wicket keeper caught it. But guess what, like some pro, I'd stepped out of the crease to hit. And got stumped!! hahahaha. It was suchhh a fail moment. Of all things, STUMPED?! sigh. But nvm, I don't think being on the field for those 4 extra balls would've helped anyway. And the boys were nice enough not to say anything mean. So I just laughed it off :P
Luckily our bowling was even better! The opponents struggled to make our score, and we got quick wickets. Finally they got all out within 8 overs, so we won that match too! On to the finals woohooooooo! Then we got to rest coz the previous 2 defeated teams played for 3rd/4th place. So we worked on improving our banners, and eating and watching our opponents for the finals match. They were really good. Defending champions from last year. And in '08, they came in a close 2nd. Andd, their team was made up of total douchebags. Sore losers who used to jeer our team all the time (they didn't fail to keep up their standards this time too btw). Anyway, sometime then, the banner competition judges came and said our posters were good (thanks for the ideas girls!) so we were hoping to win that one too :D (starbucks voucher prize heheh)
Finally, the finals! We won the toss and elected to bat, as we'd done in the previous two. Less pressure. And then, one of the uncles found out that they'd removed the compulsory girl player rule (I had a feeling, coz there were 6 teams but only 1 other girl player!) so I HAPPILY got replaced by a dad in the finals! Really, the opponents were too strong. It was tough. Their bowling was good, our batting was slow. Initial run rate for about 4 overs was only about 5. The guys weren't hitting out. Then someone got out, and quickly 2 more wickets fell. So 3 wickets in the 4th and 5th over! Score was about 29/4, with 10 overs to go! aaargh! The new batsmen picked up a little. It was only in the last few overs that they started hitting out! Boundaries galore :D (ok not THAT many, but comparatively!) and it was our brothers playing so we screeeeamed like crazy. The scorekeeper gave us a look but HMPH WHATEVER. Who wants a boring noise-less cricket match!! Final score was 88, so target was 89 in 15 overs. Not a very difficult total to make! Avg. req'd run rate: less than 6 omg!
The start of the final innings was promising. Bowling from our guys was FANTASTIC. The only few runs were made because of wides (2 runs each :( but no extra ball) and score in the first 2 overs was about 4 for ONE WICKET!! But the loss of that wicket was bad coz the next guy to come in was their star batsman who's a crazy bugger (not personality, vee, but cricket-wise)! He's capable of smashing left, right and centre so main goal was to get him out asap. Unfortunately that was tough to achieve. He started hitting boundaries and took lots of singles and the score kept rising steadily. Our bowling was good, but the batsmen were able to overcome that! Run rate was hovering around 6 for the first 6-7 overs, so it was similar to our innings. Which meant there was a 50% chance of winning or losing!
THEN. That crazy fellow got OUT!!!! Excellentttt catch by vishy!!!! OMG WE WERE SOOOOO HAPPY. even though their line-up was pretty decent all the way till the last batsman, at least this guy was out, so the chances of winning were higher! YAAAAY! That helped psychologically at least. Run rate was still around there tho heh. The next coupla batsmen were really good too. But it was very close, and that idiotic team's "supporters" started jeering us. Saying "wides, wides, wides! go g12, bowl some wides!" and cheering for the slightly more expensive bowlers. SO IRRITATING. and one of the boys who got out next, came and gave some big speech about how he was wrongly given out, and how the umpires and score-keepers were from the 19th century!!!! WTH WE GOT SOOOO ANGRY!!! and they started saying stuff like "keep your cheat tactics away, g12!!" and made comments about how our team wasn't even part of the original g12 and we had to buy good cricket players to make up the team. HELLO??? That would totally explain why I played in the first 2 matches WHICH WE WON FYI. SUCH IDIOTS I WANT TO PUNCH THEM.
Ok but moving on. I really do hate them. They started getting pressurized (duh. we're so much cooler) and making mistakes. More wickets fell. Then the 13th over started. 23 runs to win in 18 balls! Definitely possible! Our bowlers were really excellent. Made it tough for them to take singles but they managed a four or sixer so it evened out all the no-run balls :( 18 runs in 12 balls. 2 wickets left. The 14th over started and a wicket fell. Then a kutti little boy walked in as the last batsman (aww!) It all happened in a blur and I was too busy screaming to see what actually happened, but they got the last guy out and
WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Everyone around us must've gotten deaf. We screamed, we hugged (among the girls. dumb boys didn't let us come close, other than low-fiving), we congratulated the loserish team. And took group photos! Posed for the official photographer and all. aah so nice. And the uncles and girls were like "YOU should go too, you played!" so i'm baekkishly standing among all the boys in the group photo hehe.
Then, prize presentation. We got individual awards like best fielder, best bowler, etc. It was great :) The trophies looked really nice this year, with a cricketer holding up his bat! And we won second prize in the poster competition (coz they can't let us win everything hehehe)! There was no food left by the time we helped to clear up people's mess on the field but nvm we were too high to care. YAAAAAAAAY! So that was it. But of course, I missed a few people there sigh. I hope one of the loosus can join in next year, coz rest will still be in US :( It'll be awesome having everyone there again next year.
Didn't take many photos, but they should be up on the sdbbs website soon! hehe. Ok I should leave now. Sorry ending's very abrupt but it's VERY LATE. byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
02 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 scribbles:
LIKES THIS ENTRY.
wow! so the team retained the cup thanks to you being on it for 2 of the matches eh?
great to knw that this is happening in s'pore! congrats! =)
hahaha DEFINITELY not archana. They played awesomely :)
and yes, it's part of the Singapore Dakshina Bharatha Brahmana Sabha! SDBBS :D you too can join if you wanna go for poojais and all hehe :P
OMG!What a long blog entry! Happy 2 see you back :) yapping
Post a Comment